It often starts when someone retires, says Jeff May. All of a sudden, the retiree is spending a lot more time in his home—the home he has lived in for years—but he finds he can’t breathe. He’s wheezing and sneezing and uncomfortable all the time.
How can this be?
Because now the retiree is spending more time in a house where something is triggering an allergic or asthmatic reaction. And while it may sound surprising, your house can actually be making you sick, says Jeffrey May, author of My House Is Killing Me.
“The whole concept of indoor pollution is pretty new,” says May, an expert in the dangers of mold and other home pollutants. “For a long time, our focus was on what was going on in the environment outside our homes. But in the last decade or so, we’ve realized that the indoor environment can be making you sick.”
So what kinds of things happen to make you feel this way? May says dust mites, mold, and other microbial growth are usually the culprits. Where do they lurk? Read on to find out.